As the owner of your business, you are welcome to find, claim, and manage your own Google My Business listing. By creating a Google My Business listing, your business information can show up in Maps, Search, and other Google properties. The steps in this article show you how to find and verify your Google My Business listing.
Before we start, we want to take a moment now to emphasize the importance of verifying your business with Google. Marketing success weighs pretty heavily on having a verified Google My Business, yet the average business owner isn't typically aware of it's significance. People local to your business are using Google's intelligent search apps every single day, and they will likely be searching for services or products that your business offers. A few mobile apps that you may find your business in could be "Google Maps" and "Google"; these apps can be downloaded in your mobile phone's App Store. Please take it from our own Marketing team: verifying your business with Google is going to be beneficial to online marketing efforts.
If you’ve already created a listing in the past, there are a few common reasons that you may not see your business on Google Maps and Search:
- Your business isn't verified yet. The business information you provide Google with won’t be eligible to appear on Google until you verify your business by following the instructions in this article. The verification process involves a postcard sent to your place of business, so it is not a task you could complete in a single day.
- You recently added or edited your business information.
- Your business information doesn’t comply with Google's guidelines.
If you know that your business is already verified with Google, it is beneficial to find and gain access to the account that originally verified your business listing. If you need to do so, follow the steps in this link. Please continue reading the steps below to verify your business for the first time.
|STEP A - "How do I verify my business listing with Google My Business?"|
1. To start, navigate to Google My Business.
- New to Google My Business? Follow the steps in this link to sign up for free
2. Search for your business by using its name and address.
- If you see a dialog letting you know that someone else has verified the business, follow these steps by Google.
3. If you don’t see your business listed on the menu, select "No, these are not my businesses" or "I’ve correctly entered the business". You’ll then be prompted to enter some details for your business. Make sure you enter an accurate, complete street address, and a phone number which reaches your business directly.
4. Select the Submit button.
5. Google should prompt you to send a verification postcard right after you press Submit in the last step, so make sure to Send a postcard. If you aren't prompted to send a postcard, please go to Step B.
6. Check the mail for your postcard. Most postcards arrive within 5 days. During the 5 day wait time, don't edit your business name, address, or category, or request a new code—this may delay the verification process. Go to Step C once you have received your postcard in the mail.
|STEP B - You must request a verification postcard:|
1. Sign in to Google My Business.
2. Choose the business you'd like to verify, then select Verify now.
3. On the postcard request screen, make sure that your ￼address is displayed accurately. If it isn't, edit the address before you request your postcard. You can also add an Optional contact name to help your postcard reach you.
4. Select Send postcard.
5. Check the mail for your postcard. Most postcards arrive within 5 days. During the 5 day wait time, don't edit your business name, address, or category, or request a new code—this may delay the verification process. Go to Step C once you have received your postcard in the mail.
|STEP C - Once you receive the postcard, enter the verification code online at Google:|
1. Once you receive your postcard in the mail, sign in to Google My Business.
2. If you manage more than one location, select Manage location on the location you want to verify.
3. Select Verify location from the menu (or select the Verify now button).
4. Enter the 5-digit verification code from your postcard in the "Code" field.
5. Select Submit.
6. Once you’ve verified your business listing, you may see a banner asking you to review your information and make any final changes. Select Done editing when you’re certain that everything is up to date.
|STEP D - Grant our Marketing team access to your Google My Business listing.|
When you have successfully verified your Google My Business, you will need to grant our marketing team ownership permission to your listing by using the steps in this link. Granting us access to your Google My Business listing ensures that your marketing subscription is operating at its full capacity.
That's it! After you submit, your business should begin showing up in Google Maps, Search, and other Google properties. If your postcard is lost or missing, you can request a new one from Google.
Please sign in to leave a comment.