We've built in a straightforward way to verify the ownership of your website to major search engines.
When you submit your sitemap to Google, Bing and verify your website ownership to them, this allows you to access their various webmaster tools:
- Track how your website is performing in search.
- Discover which keywords your website is showing up for.
- Analyze your traffic data for each search engine.
- Find out about other websites that link back to yours.
- Get alerts for any broken links on your website.
Follow the simple steps below on submitting and verifying your site with the biggest search engines on the web.
Important: There are multiple ways to verify a domain, but we believe our method is the easiest for our customers. There is no "best" method to verifying your domain.
1. Navigate to Google Search Console.
2. It will ask you to login or create a Google account (email address ending in @gmail.com).
3. After you login, you will be taken to the Google Search Console or it will ask you to navigate to it.
4. Once you log in, you have the option to 'select property type'. Please select "URL prefix" and copy and paste the URL of your website's home page, including the https://
5. On the next page, it will ask you to verify the ownership of your site. Here, you’ll use the Alternate methods tab. Click into it and choose the HTML tag option.
6. Copy the entire snippet they provide that appears in the field box.
7. Without closing this window, go to your dashboard in a new window or tab.
8. Select the Settings icon in the gray navigation bar.
9. Select SEO under the Settings header.
10. Paste the meta tag into the "Google site verification code" field box (right-click and then paste or CMD-V on Mac & CTRL-V on PC).
11. Refresh the page to parse out the actual code (CMD-R on Mac & CTRL-R on PC).
12. Select the green Publish button.
13. Go back to the Google Search Console tab and select the orange Verify button at the bottom.
Your website ownership is now verified for Google and you will have access to Google Webmaster Tools.
Bing (which incorporates Yahoo! search as well)
1. Go to Bing Webmaster Tools and click Sign up with Microsoft account (or just Sign In if you already have an email address from Microsoft ending in @hotmail.com or @live.com).
2. Follow the steps to create an account, then sign in to your account, which will lead you to a page called My Sites.
3. Click Add Your Site.
4. Type your website’s URL into the URL field.
5. In the Add a sitemap field, type your URL, then “/sitemap.xml” (Ex. www.mywebsite.com/sitemap.xml)
6. Complete the rest of the form on the page and click Save.
7. On the next page, you can verify the ownership of your site. Here, you’ll use Option 2. Copy the meta tag (the text in the gray box beginning “<meta name.”)
8. Without closing this window, go to your website dashboard in a new window or tab.
9. Select the Settings icon in the gray navigation bar.
10. Paste the tag into the field called Bing site verification code. Refresh the page, which will parse out the actual code.
11. Select the green Publish button.
12. Go back to the Bing page. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click Verify.
Your website ownership is now verified for Bing and Yahoo!, plus you have access to Bing Webmaster Tools.
Please sign in to leave a comment.