At iHeart Business Payments, we understand the importance of KYC (knowing your customer) when it comes to selling online, and have implemented several safeguards to ensure e-commerce payments are secure. As a merchant, you should be aware that it is hard to detect every instance of card fraud, but following these guidelines will greatly reduce your exposure to chargebacks.
As a best practice, we recommend that all orders be reviewed prior to shipping in order to mitigate fraudulent activity.
When reviewing an order here are some steps you can take to validate your customer.
- Make sure the billing and shipping address are the same
- If there is a variance, contact the customer and have them explain the discrepancy
- The customers email address should typically have some relevance to the customer
- Example - Customer Bob Smith has an email of firstname.lastname@example.org
- Google search the delivery address to ensure it is correct and accurate
- Example - A residence is discovered rather than a warehouse or shipping redirect business
- Google search the customer's name and city of residence
- You will often find voter records or social media examples that aid in validating your customers identity
- Request a picture of their Drivers License or another government issued ID
- You must make sure to treat this information securely.
- Call the customer
- Phone numbers are collected in the order process
As a merchant, it is always important to be aware of fraudulent activity. If you have any doubts about an order, it is best to take action right away. If you don't receive a response to any questions you may have, that should be considered a red flag and you should not process the order.
It is also wise to refund any orders that you feel are not valid or are problematic, and to not ship the products. This will help to avoid any potential chargeback action from occurring. Being vigilant when it comes to fraud prevention is essential to protecting your business.
If you need help with issuing refunds or tracking e-commerce purchases, our payments support team is always here to help. Check out this helpful article for more information. We look forward to assisting you in any way we can.